WSOP final post
Ok, so as most of you have already found out, I have been knocked out of the WSOP.
The only reason that I am posting today is because the hotel where I am staying was smart enough to make the windows unable to open. All jokes aside, I want to thank everyone for the support before, during, and after my attempt to win the big one. Thanks to Trixie for keeping everyone posted and also to all that sent me a text while I was playing.
After my first round (Saturday) I had two days off before day two. During this time I relaxed, hung out at a few bars, and cheered my buddies on as they sat down in a few satellite tournaments trying to get a buy-in to the WSOP. In these satellite tournaments, you buy-in anywhere from $550 to $1100. In these particular tourneys, there is no cash prize, but rather a prize of a spot in the WSOP. They both played on Saturday and weren’t able to make it in. On Monday, they both decided to give it another try. Kenny bought in for $550 and Tony $1100. They both had to place 19th or better to win a seat and after around 6 hours they were both in.
Monday was their 1st day at the WSOP so I headed over to give the guys some support. This day brought some crazy events. Phil Helmuth was knocked out on day one, but only after he crashed the Ultimate Bet race car in the parking lot. Jamie Gold, last years champion was sent packing and just about all the top pros were sent home as well. The boys were hanging in there through the first break and seemed to have lost there jitters. We met after the second break and things weren’t looking too good. Kenny was down to about 8k chips and Tony only 3k. Both guys were talking crazy saying that they had to make a move. I tried to tell them that it was still early and they had plenty of time, but they both tried to make a push and wound up out before the dinner break on day 1. That night Kenny and I hung out checked out a few of the casinos and then hit up some bars to get away from the card tables and clear our heads.
Tuesday brought on my day two. I started the day with 47,100 chips. The average stack was right around 55,000. The antes started at 200 with the blinds being 800-1600, which meant if there was a “typical” raise it was around 4,800, this makes it tough with only 47k. We were seated at different tables than on day 1 and with all new faces. It seemed that I had drawn a good table and seemed to be safe, as there were only 1 or 2 guys that had a big stack. About an hour into day 2, players were dropping like crazy. The small stacks were pushing all-in trying to double up and the large stacks were forcing the smaller stacks to bet most of their chips. Since the players were dropping, they had to keep an even amount on each table, so they started breaking tables up and shuffling players from one table to another. Unfortunately, my table was broken up and I was sent to a table that had plenty of chips on it. This put me in a very tough position, every time I bet, these guys were raising me. This was extremely frustrating and all new to me.
At the first break I was down to about 31k from 47k and totally confused. I wasn’t sure how I was going to play the rest of this day. My original plan was not going to work and I had to come up with something quick, the break was only 20 minutes. I must admit, I was really down in the dumps...I didn’t want to go home at this point. After the break, I sat down and decided to only play premium starting cards such as high pairs, A-K and maybe A-Q depending on my position. During these two hours I didn’t see much action and actually took a small hit going into the second break I was at 28k.
Now with round 3 day 2 the antes were raised to 300 with the blinds being 1,000-2,000, the typical raise was 6,000. I was in deep shizat. I said to myself that if I was going out it was going to be now. I knew that if I put money in a pot the big stacks would raise and force me to fold or put most of my money in to see a flop. There was no way in hell I was going to be bullied. Much like when Patrick Kearney used to steal my lunch money, I learned that if I struck back he would leave me alone. I started to push all-in when they raised my bets, forcing them to either fold or draw out and double me up. I was dealt A-Q 3 times and was paid twice on them. Kings also helped me out against A-J as a king came on the flop and now going into the dinner break I was at 75k and feeling pretty good
After dinner I was back at the table and they made the announcement that we were down to 503 players and would end when we were down to 350 players. I figured I was in a good position and had a good shot to make it through. Through this round I had a few bad beats (people catching their cards when I had the better hand) and was down to about 45k. We were now in the last round with two hours to play and my table was broken up and I was sent to a table with three pros, 2 had around 200k and one was lower than me at about 25k. There was one guy that had about 400k and all the rest were over 200k. Basically when I sat down at this table, these guys started salivating and I felt like a feeder fish in a shark tank.
Here I was again, having to double up. Antes still at 300 blinds now 1,200-2,400. In order to make it through into the next round I had to be over 100k or it would be tough. I waited and waited and waited. We were down to 377 players, 27 away from day three, when I was dealt pocket kings for the fourth time in the tournament. I was the third person to act and took a few seconds to think, and pushed all in. My tournament life on the line and 7 more players left to act on my bet. Johansson, a top pro sitting next to me thought for about thirty seconds tried to get a read on me then folded. The next guy to act looked at his cards and began to think as well. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him trying to get a read on me but I was as still as could be. He took around three minutes when someone called for the clock to be put on him. When this happens, the player has 1 minute to act if he does not act in that 1 minute his cards are folded. He said to the dealer, “no need, I call”. All the other players folded and I turned over my kings as he turned over A-K. I couldn’t believe it. I was ahead and put my tournament life on the line with the best hand, but he was holding the one card that could do me in…the effing Ace. The flop came with two cards I can’t even remember and an effing Ace. Not only was it an Ace it was the Ace of hearts (the card left out of the deck when I won my bid into the WSOP). With two cards to go I have one card in the deck that can save me and he is way ahead. The turn and the river didn’t help me and I was out, number 376.
I wasn’t angry or even disappointed. I played very well throughout the entire tournament with only one mistake and got a lot further than I should have. I was heartbroken that I couldn’t bring it home for Jerome, but I played well. This entire experience was amazing! I played, met and talked with famous people and the top pros. I survived longer than most of the top players in the world. And I made it further then approximately 5800 players from a field of 6500. I was about two hours away from being in the money and had an experience of a lifetime. I now know that I can play with these guys. Watch for Papple to make a run at all upcoming events such as the World Poker Tour in Atlantic City and all future WSOP’s. Again thank everyone for their support; it carried me a long way!

10comments:
Papple Dankin.....we figure you're going to be famous some day and were rooting for you down here in Florida. What a kick it must have been to be in Vegas with all the big poker players, and staying in it longer than they did. Well, kiddo life is an adventure and again you went for the gusto. Bravo, Patrick
Well done, big brother! I still want to learn, but i don't want to lose all my money to you! Can't we play with Monopoly money?
You gave it the 'ol college try and you did great kid. Just remember what Micky told Rocky, "when your hurt and you feel like your going down, there's a little angel that's gonna whisper in your saying, GET UP YA SON OF A BITCH, CAUSE MICKEY LOVES YA!!" Go get'em next year Pat!
P.S. GO BIRDS!!
Ms. Jeannie & Bill,
Thank you for your wonderful comment, however, it would be much more fun if you guys were rooting for me from NJ. The best part of sitting playing with the famous people and all the poker pros was that we were all at the same level. Most of them, other than Phil Helmuth, were all very nice. I had some conversations with many pros and a few famous people such as Norm MacDonald and Montel Williams. I was able to see many more and play with top notch plasyers. It was a great expierience.
JB,
If you really want to learn, Full Tit Poker is a great site to learn for free. I will be happy to teach you on the weekends down the shore when we all throw in $5 and fight it out. There isn't much to it, just play the numbers and hope it all ends up in your favor.
MJ,
I didn't know you had it in ya! Thank you very much. Sorry I missed the lil guys birthday. I felt very much like Rocky did when that ace fell on the flop, but after I walked away, I realized there was nothing I could do. I put my money in with the best hand and the other guy had the luck.
Sorry for the delay...but great job out there and much thanks to Trixie for the up to the minute reports she sent. You'll be back next year! (just hide that Ace of Hearts again in the qaulifier tourney).
Now get on the bike and start pedaling...only 2.5 weeks til the Pan Mass (www.pmc.org)
Well done... hopefully next time you'll get paid out and I can cash in on my 1%.
1% for doing what?
Louie...what a mooch you are! 1% for sitting on your ass...must be nice!
You were there,Patrick, with the big boys. CONGRATULATIONS
See ya in a couple of weeks.
Nowak,
Thank you. I have been on the bike and should have no problem in the PMC, providing there isn't a strong head wind.
Bobdog,
Thank you. It was a blast playing at that level and an experience I will never forget. See you at the pmc.
Post a Comment
<< Home