Thursday, August 03, 2006

lending a helping hand

have you ever helped someone that was in need? did you ever donate your time, money or something else that a less fortunate person needed more than you?

recently, i have witnessed a few people that have donated what they could to help people that are in need. i have hung out with jd and trixie as they played music for the cancer patients over at jefferson hospital. they are part of a group of people that get together twice a week and go room to room and play/sing by request for the people who are stuck in bed all day and don't have much to smile about. it was amazing to see how having someone play music, changed these people, some smiling and laughing, and others with tears filling their eyes.

tonight, my company played john debella (local morning dj) and the 102.9fm crew in a kickball game to raise money for alex's lemonade stand. check out the sight if you don't know who alex was. just so happened that this past weekend, the headquarters of alex's lemonade stand was broken into and the effer's stole money that was raised. i'm sure some of you have caught the story on the news. not letting that get in their way, they came tonight and raised money for juvenile cancer.

as both of you already know, i will be heading north tomorrow to watch nowak and andy peddle their way toward the finish line in their effort to raise money for a good cause. they have put in many of hours of practice for this ride, donating their time and sweet.

after watching these people raise money and donate their time, it makes me want to lend a helping hand in some way; problem is, i just don't what to do. does anyone have any good ideas? years ago, my mom and i went to cooper hospital to hold the new born babies that didn't have parents that for one reason or another weren't there to give these babies affection. most of these babies were born with drug problems and were in great need to spend time in someone's arms rather than laying all day in a bassinet. i'm looking into doing that again, but i kind of remember that the group feel apart. please let me know if you have any ideers.

7comments:

At Fri Aug 04, 10:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've started volunteering my time helping people with ALS. My cousin Meg has been doing it for years so I figured I'd join her. It's a lot of fun and doing yard/house work and doing some minor fix it work is something I enjoy anyway. Meg's father, my uncle, died about 10 years ago from ALS. It's great getting out and meeting new people and putting a smile on someone's face even if it's only for a few hours.

 
At Sat Aug 05, 10:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

VB's company sponsored a Habitat for Humanity house that VB and I have donated our time in to building. We got to work with other volunteers and the person's home who it is going to be. It felt good to talk to her and learn her story. Being in a less fortunate situation could happen to any of us, at any time. So, I think any chance to earn some extra points with the man upstairs or just give back because it makes you feel good is a wonderful thing. Papple,. I didn't know they had groups to go hold babies in the nursery at the hospital, how could people just leave their babies there, that's terible and heartless....

 
At Sun Aug 06, 09:41:00 PM, Blogger Papple Dankin said...

jo jo-that's a great way to help people that are less fortunate. i had no idea there were such groups.

jb-i have heard that you guys have been a part of hfh and that vb has even taken vacation time at work to help this cause. very cool, just hope their houses stay intact.

i've found that everyone donates for their own reasons and as far as i'm concerned, it doesn't really matter the reason. whether it's for you for them or the man upstairs, it's great that some people care enough to help others!

 
At Mon Aug 07, 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't helping down at the Captains house count as charity work...it should!

All kidding aside, there is plent of stuff to do...just find someting you enjoy and go for it.

 
At Mon Aug 07, 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Lou said...

It's nice to see there is a softer side to papple...

 
At Mon Aug 07, 04:48:00 PM, Blogger Blonde said...

Simple things can be done with great results.

An example of how I give... every time I have a party at my home, I ask that people bring something to support a cause. My Sunday Funday football parties, I ask they bring canned goods I donate to shelters. My birthday party, I ask that they bring items I donate to animal shelters instead of bringing me gifts. It is a good way to start a good deed :).

I think it is wonderful that you want to help others. This world is filled with so many people who take, but don't give back.

 
At Wed Aug 09, 06:18:00 PM, Blogger Papple Dankin said...

nowak- after seeing you guys ride for a cure this weekend, i will be there on the peddles with you next year. nice job!

louie- eff you you effing dick!

blonde- great ideas, we do something similar, but only at xmas time. instead of exchanging gifts with other family members, we all put our money together and help a family that is need. it feels good to be able to help a child experience xmas. nice that you gather things several times a year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home